Tuesday 24 January 2012

My Closet Friend

Thunderstruck I stared inside the closet. Someone moaned. I realised that, it was me! Hurriedly, I banged the door shut, Taking a deep breath, fortified by a glass of water, I slunk towards the closet again.. Surely, it was a nightmare, and I would wake up.. A vain hope. For there it lay in the closet, a perfectly preserved skeleton.

So, soooo. my luck, I thought bitterly. Curled up on the couch, biting my nails bare, I tried to gather my thoughts.

 Grandmas' home far away from the madding crowds, was what I had inherited, while my siblings got her jewellery and money. With my sisters' encouragement, I had landed in this godforsaken place, planning to tidy it up, and use it as a retreat, from my hectic life back in the city. After having spent the night in mortal fright of spiders, rats, and such like, I had got  up early, determined to clean up.

The first place I attacked was the hall. A huge closet clung to one side of the otherwise bare hall. Dying with curiosity, I had opened it. Readers may now please reread the first paragraph.

 The sound of the bell jangled almost as loudly as my nerves, thru the house. Leaping up in fright, glancing at the cupboard to make sure it was closed, I hurried to the door. Opening the door, I peered out cautiously. "Hi, there" said the ethereal looking creature standing outside, before me. In my entire life I had never been so pleased to see her as I was now. "Can I come in" demanded to know my scatter brained, but extremely street smart , childhood friend, Zara. Seeing my still dazed expression, she pushed me aside and strode in. "Whats' up, " said she. "You look like you've seen a ghost." " Not a ghost.I've a..a skeleton in my closet," I said, wringing my fingers, nervously. "Go on," she said. Without a word I turned towards the closet and flung open the door. The skeleton, having decided it had had enough of being cooped up, tumbled out and fell  on me, I leapt back, and landed on Zara.

Our combined screams must've echoed in the entire hamlet, but then they dont call it sleepy for nothing. No heavy footsteps raced towards my home. The world still slept. I laid the still figure of my friend gently on the couch, and waited, chewing the aforementioned nails to tinier bits. When she came to, we sat staring at each other. "I thought you meant that figuratively, that skeleton in the closet bit.," she said defensively."Let me think" was her command, after she ascertained that I hadn't really murdered anyone. "We'll have to get rid of it." All I could manage was a weak "D..UH.." Now there were two of us on the couch, its creaks ignored, as we thought.

"Forbes," She snapped her fingers. "Eureka, you mean, " I said, laughing drily. "No! No! she exclaimed. "I meant Mr. Forbes, the Science teacher in the school." Seeing my eyebrows shoot up, she explained, " He is your typical  nerd, and very gullible." and then peremptorily " Leave it to me."

We sat in the afternoon, alternating between incredulity and relief, she testing the poor couch to its limits as she rolled about laughing on it. Me ? I was counting the money and still in a trance over the day's happenings.

The skeleton now occupies a place of honor in the science lab, in the village school, admired by a horde of kids. The proud Mr. Forbes stood happily beside it, telling anyone who would listen, how he had always wanted a skeleton for the school lab. That it was a dream come true.

Just goes to show that one woman's nightmare can be another man's dream.
  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment