Saturday 7 April 2012

Some People Laugh..

Don't get me wrong. My kid loves me, more than any kid loves her mom, and she's a teen too boot ! Which goes to prove exactly how great, if immodest, a mom i am. But for some reason, she displays this queer attitude when we are together outside the house. She tries to pretend she's not with me. But it wasn't always so. I think that happened soon after the party we attended, the one where the 'page three' types had descended on us.

My husband's associate had invited us to the inauguration of his Restaurant. After partaking of the endless snacks, we were getting quite bored, when the celebs started entering. Suddenly my slouched, restless kid was sitting up straight, eyes a glitter as she took in the short dresses, the careless curls, the bold look of the models and small time actors streaming in. It was late though and time for us to leave. Unfortunate that the 'hot' young TV actor got into my path as i leaned to take my leave of the hostess. Something about the material of my starched salwaar kameez, drew his thickly gelled hair to it like a magnet. Blithely unaware of it all, i straightened and walked off, pulling my dupatta up, and snagging his hair into it. With a small yowl and a glare, he disengaged both his hair and the PYT, read pretty young thing, hanging onto his arm, and stalked off. My teen, walking behind me died a thousand deaths at my close encounter of the first kind and vowed that she would never take me to a party again !

Funny thing, as you grow older you tend to shed a few inhibitions on the way. Don't you ?
Then there was the time we went to see a movie together. It was a comedy, and the climax was so funny that everybody around was laughing aloud. Except my kid, whose discomfiture changed to ire, when she saw people around me laughing because i was laughing !

Yes, a lot of our fondest memories our associated with the movies. Until she stopped going with me. Everyone knows how funny that Salman Khan movie was. The climax had people falling over the cliff and hanging onto each others legs, with the girls doing a rescue act. It was so funny, we were laughing even after the movie was over. My problem is that i double up when i'm really amused. Well. one moment i was laughing hard, the next i was sitting on the lap of the teen behind. That was where i landed when i tripped, getting out of my seat. That was it. The death knell of our movies together.
  

1 comment: