Wednesday 7 March 2012

The Faux pa

Kids say the darndest things. Like for instance, my five year old, a very observant child, took one look at my mother in law, and declared " Grannys' got half an eyebrow." She had just tried out the latest depilatory cream and had accidentally lopped off the other half. Her thickest glasses of course, couldn't hide it from the kid.

Or take the time when we were in the midst of a tear jerker film in a cinema hall. The lady beside me was weeping great copious tears discreetly into her hanky, and my child peered into her face and announced to the world in general, in her loudest voice, "She's crying." The poor lady, didn't know where to look, as everyone else around her started to giggle.


The most challenging moment of my life came in the midst of a friends birthday party. She had twin boys one of whom was mad at the other for some reason. At eight, he was toilet trained since many years, while the other still struggled with his bladder. Pointing accusingly at his bro, just before they cut the cake and the attention of the entire room was on them, he said, " My brother wears pampers." As the sniggers started and the brother made to cut him with the knife instead of the cake, my little one stepped into the fray. From her vantage point on a high table, she announced, " So does my mum." She meant sanitary napkins of course, and this time the room erupted into loud laughter, one of my vague uncles rolling on the floor as the joke was explained to him by one of his more savvy contemporaries.

Then there was the time when in the midst of a reception my sisters' grand daughter, very pleased to meet her favorite great grandma went around announcing to whomsoever would listen, " I have two two Nanies !" (maternal grandmother) much to my sisters' mortification.

But the day she stole the thunder, and bolts of lightning shot thru the room, was at a family get together. One of my aunts, a rather buxom lady had a middle and first name starting with T. God alone knows, where my kid heard it, but in a lull in the conversation, she climbed into her lap, and asked in her most friendly voice, "Why does  Bittu Uncle  call you T T,  aunty." The TT was said in one breath, and the said uncle had to avoid er, T T aunty, for many years to come.

Like they say, : Dont be scared of what the kids speak, be scared of what they hear.  Kids. To add to our woes, they hear the darndest things too.    

1 comment: